A 57 year old man drove more than 300 kilometers and killed three women around Wilno, Ontario, before being arrested in Ottawa on Tuesday.
The Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) started the man hunt shortly after 9am and asked all nearby residents to stay inside and lock their doors.
Wilno is a village located 175 km west of the federal capital with a significant population of Polish origin. The suspect opened fire in three different places before fleeing. Two victims were met by gunfire in the same area south-east of Algonquin Provincial Park. The shooter then killed a third victim, this time in the Bancroft area, before heading to the capital.
The official Twitter account of the Ottawa Police has shared OPP publications indicating that the suspect had been arrested by the capital police, and that residents who were confined within their homes or their Offices were free to move.
Wilno, ON and Foymont Rd area. OPP searching for armed suspect. Stay secure indoors and report suspicious persons or activity immediately
— OPP East (@OPP_ER) September 22, 2015
The arrest took place in the west of the city, in the Kinburn sector.
According to several media in the region, the shooter is Borutski Basil, an individual with a criminal record who was recently released from prison. According to these media, one of the victims is Anastasia Kuzyk, a building officer in the Pembroke area.
The OPP said Tuesday in a statement that a complete assessment of the events will be made Wednesday.
Earlier in the day Tuesday, the spokesman of the OPP, Kristine Rae, advised area residents to remain in their homes and report to the police any suspicious activity.
Rae said the suspect was placed in custody, thanks to co-ordination between numerous units.
“Events like this are not very common and it just shows the teamwork between police services,” Rae told The Canadian Press. “It took a lot of teamwork, a lot of officers and investigators. We’re just happy that the suspect has been apprehended.”
At Pembroke, 45 minutes from Wilno, management of public elementary and secondary school Equinoxe warned parents that containment measures had been put in motion.
Still early in the day Tuesday in an email from the School Public School Board of Eastern Ontario (CEPEO) sent to parents, the management referred to “Safe Mode”.
“To ensure the safety and welfare of students and staff, we wish to inform you that, preventively, the school is now in safe mode due to an external threat. This means that the doors are all locked: no person can enter or leave the building until further notice, “it added.
The courthouse in Pembroke was also closed for much of the day.
Clinton Roche, owner of a restaurant in Wilno, had claimed that part of the village was confined. The man did not fear for his safety since his cafe is located in an open area about a kilometer from the main street.
Anyone with information about the incidents is being asked to contact the OPP at 1-888-310-1122