AZ Woman Stung By Scorpion & Then By Hospital For $80,000 Bill
PHOENIX — Marcie Edmonds of Ahwatukee Arizona, raced to the Chandler Regional Medical Center after being stung by a scorpion she encountered while searching for air conditioner filers stored in her garage, according to Arizona Central.
Scorpion stings although painful, are rarely fatal.
The Arizona woman was informed by emergency room doctors about a Mexican-made scorpion anti-venom known as Anascorp that can rapidly relieve the symptoms of scorpion bite. She was not however informed about the cost of the treatment.
After being released, she was presented with a bill for more than $83,000, $57,000 of which had been covered by her medical insurance. The hospital has requested that Ms. Edwards pay the remaining $25,000 which according to them represents the out-of-network charges for this kind of treatment.
The incident is likely to keep alive a national political debate about federal health care reforms. Many people object to government involvement in their health care, however; many more are outraged about the rising costs of health care itself.