Mother Feeds Daughter Tapeworms to Prepare for a Beauty Pageant
A teenage girl was brought into the emergency room at a local Florida hospital complaining of severe stomach pain and cramping. Maricar Cabral-Osorio, the attending nurse, explained that she initially believed the girl was with child. She conducted an ultrasound expecting to see an infant, but instead noticed intestinal growth masses IE tapeworms. The girl was administered medicine to cause her intestines to flush out the parasites and it worked. Nurse Cabral-Osoria explained that the toilet bowl was full of tapeworms. It was so bad this ER nurse, who’s probably seen her share of the macabre, was grossed out. The nurse says some of the worms were long and wiggling about as if trying to escape the confines of the toilet.
Now, tapeworms can reach humans if they eat undercooked meat. Tapeworm eggs can be ingested by eating food prepared by someone with fecal matter on their hands. When she informed the teen that her symptoms were being caused by tapeworms, her mother’s face turned to flint. Following the mother’s look of horror came a series of profuse apologies. It turns out the mother had made a trip to Mexico to buy tapeworm eggs to allow her daughter to shed some additional weight ahead of a beauty pageant.
Ingesting tape worms to lose weight is a method used by some to control their weight, albeit with numerous health risks. Tapeworms will cause the host to experience fatigue and nausea as a result of losing nutrients. They will continue to grow and can reach a length of 30 feet. Some worms may live as long as 20 years inside the host. The teenager is now believed to be tapeworm free. It is not clear if authorities will charge her mother with abuse stemming from the incident. Nor it is clear how she got her daughter to ingest them in the first place.
Health Officials Concerned About Iowa Tapeworm Diet
Health official in Iowa are worried that there is a new diet trend that may turn deadly after one of the state’s medical doctors reported that he recently treated a woman who had swallowed a tapeworm in an effort to lose weight quickly. The doctor’s patient revealed that she purchased the tapeworm from a vendor on the Internet after reading a website’s claims that introducing a tapeworm into her digestive tract could help her quickly shed unwanted pounds. But she sought medical treatment when the tapeworm caused her to feel sick instead.
Health officials are now trying to spread the word throughout the state that the tapeworm diet may in fact be fatal for some people. Medical authorities say that the sale of tapeworm eggs that could be ingested in pill form first became popular in the early 20th century. Eating tapeworm eggs in an attempt to lose weight, however, can cause a variety of negative side effects because the tapeworms can grow to several feet in length and result in intestinal blockages and even death. The woman who sought medical help when the tapeworm she ingested make her sick was given medication in order to kill the worm infestation.