Two injured in a Boston’s partial building collapse

BOSTON FIRE DEPARTMENT  Fire officials said at the scene, which is on the edge of the Chinatown district, that a “dead load” fell from the 12th floor, the highest level the project had reached so far, to the fifth floor.
BOSTON FIRE DEPARTMENT
Fire officials said at the scene, which is on the edge of the Chinatown district, that a “dead load” fell from the 12th floor, the highest level the project had reached so far, to the fifth floor.
Two people were injured in a partial building collapse in the Boston’s Chinatown area.

According to Boston’s city’s fire department, the two people were sent to the hospital after a Boston building partially collapsed around 8 a.m. Thursday morning.

It is reported that the building, located in downtown Boston at 45 Stuart St., was under construction.

A spokesperson for the city’s police department stated they received a call reporting a floor collapse at a building located in Boston’s Chinatown neighborhood.

First responders on the scene were able to treat the two injured individuals and transport them to Tufts Medical Center.

Neither of the injured person’s names was released.

Reports from the city Emergency Medical Services stated that neither injured persons had life threatening injuries. One of the injured individuals sustained a serious head injury, while the other hospitalized only had minor injuries.

The fire department explained that everyone including ironworkers, laborers, and carpenters have been evacuated and accounted for. An additional search will be done to verify that no one is trapped in the debris of the collapsed building.

The incomplete 33-story residential high-rise, was a victim of a collapse that occurred on the 12th floor. The collapse has reportedly caused damage from the roof of the 11th floor down to the fifth floor. Deputy Fire Chief Robert Calobrisi stated a “dead load” was the cause of the collapse. This dead load caused some of the floors to “pancake”.

Steve MacDonald, a spokesman for the fire department, said Inspectors from the city, the state, US Occupational Safety and Health Administration were examining the building.

MacDonald also stated that OSHA will be investigating the incident.

According to posted signs around the construction site of the collapsed building, the 33-story residential high-rise is set to be completed in the middle of next year.

—————————-

ONline:
http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/20/us/boston-partial-building-collapse/

Share This Post:

Sean is a London (Ontario) based writer, and has been writing full-time for eCanadaNow since May of 2005, covering Canadian topics and world issues. Since 2009, Sean has been the lead editor for eCanadaNow. Prior to his work writing and editing for the eCanadaNow, he worked as a freelancer for several Canadian newspapers.. You can contact Sean at {Sean at ecanadanow.com] Google