Connect with us


Living Near takeaways Leads To Obesity: Study



Canadian Food Labels: "Sugar Is In Everything"

[caption id="attachment_80978" align="aligncenter" width="331"]Living Near takeaways Leads To Obesity: Study Court Phone Photos Legal: Judge Says Up Skirt Pics Are Legal © Jochen Schönfeld |
[/caption]A recent study has confirmed that individuals working or living near takeaways are nearly two times more likely to be obese than individuals who do not work or live near takeaways.

People eat more high-fat, high-calorie junk foods when they must pass by the takeaways regularly. The temptation is simply too much for some people to resist. They end up eating more of the belly busting foods every week than their counterparts who are not faced with the temptation – an average of 40g more.

Figures published by the British Medicine Journal (BMJ) show that living near a fast food restaurant or takeaway was not as tempting as working near one, but the numbers were close.

The study was organized through surveys which asked people to disclose the amount of takeaway food such as fried foods, burgers, and pizza they ate in a specific time period. Researchers then measured the body mass index (BMI) of participants who completed the survey.

Results indicated that participants who completed the survey were living with about nine takeaways in their immediate neighbourhoods and another 14 takeaways within one mile of their workplaces.

Participants who were surrounded by the most takeaways faced tough statistics: 80% probability of being obese and 20% probability of having a higher BMI than participants who lived near the least amount of takeaways.

This study proves the seriousness of consumption-related problems, which has increased steadily over the past ten years. People must learn healthy eating habits and make lifestyle changes.


Karen is a Toronto based writer, and has been writing full-time for eCanadaNow since May of 2011, covering many topics including politics and world issues. Prior to her work writing and editing for eCanadaNow, she worked as a freelance journalist. You can email Karen at [Karene at]


Vitamin D Deficiency in Canadians



Continue Reading

Advertiser Disclosure: ECanadaNow is committed to rigorous editorial standards to provide our readers with accurate information. We may receive compensation when you click on links to products we reviewed.