April Fool's Killer Sentenced to Death
Shanghai, China - Lin Senhao was a medical student serving as an intern when he made the fateful decision to poison his roommate's drinking water. Both Senhao and Huang Yang were students at the prestigious Fudan University. In an act the court declared was motivated by spite, Senhao laced his roommate’s drinking water with N-Nitrosodimethylamine which is known to cause liver damage. Yang drank the water on April 1, 2013, and was dead 15 days later.
Senhao claims he only intended to poison his roommate as a gag to commemorate the day known internationally for pranks, but the court disagreed. It declared he acted with malice causing Yang severe pain and that Yang's death caused society great harm. Senhao has been sentenced to death. Ultimately, it was Senhao's knowledge of N-Nitrosodimethylamine as a medical intern that unraveled his "April Fool's gag gone bad" defense. He will be allowed an appeal of his sentence before the Chinese High Court.
The case has drawn national attention and the strain it has caused his family is visible. His mother was seen weeping openly as she left the court room. Senhao's actions have brought a great dishonor to his family in a country where family name is of great importance.