Connect with us

US

Family to Sue Petco After Child Dies from Rat-Bite Fever

Updated

 on

San Diego, California - The family of 10-year-old boy Aiden Pankey has filed a lawsuit against pet supply giant PETCO for his death stemming from an infection he received from a rat purchased at one of the company's retail stores. Aiden died on June 12, 2013 less than a day after he was taken to the hospital complaining of excruciating abdominal pain. His autopsy revealed he died of a streptobacillus moniliformis infection AKA rat-bite fever. His grieving family believe the fatal infection was from a pet rat his grandmother bought at PETCO on May 27. The rat, named Alex, was intended to mate with his existing pet rat.

Unfortunately, a little more than a fortnight later on June 11, he awoke terribly ill, lethargic, weak, and complaining of stomach pain. He died the following day at the hospital. The lawsuit was formally filed this past Monday in San Diego County district court. PETCO has issued a statement affirming their concern for the safety and welfare of their patrons and expressing condolence for the suffering of the Pankey family. The family had both rats tested by the CDC to determine which one was infected. This is the reason why the lawsuit was not filed until this week.

Source:
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/02/26/calif-family-sues-petco-after-10-year-old-boy-dies-from-rat-bite-fever/

Beth has been with eCanadaNow from the very beginning.

When she isn't busy creating content for the site, she can usually be found spending time with her two Boxer dogs..

You can contact Beth at [beth at ecanadanow.com]

Curiosity

Albuquerque Toddler Shoots Parents: Toddler Shoots Dad, Pregnant Mom in Albuquerque Motel Room

Updated

 on

Continue Reading

Advertiser Disclosure: ECanadaNow is committed to rigorous editorial standards to provide our readers with accurate information. We may receive compensation when you click on links to products we reviewed.